As you know from reading my blog, I try to maintain a healthy diet for my Pso-Sanity. Well, luckily I’m not much of a sweet person but when I got a craving, I tried to find alternatives to sugary things I liked. I came across these fruit “roll-up” imitations a while ago and they hit the spot. You don’t even need to add sugar!!!
Everyone has their own method to making these at-home fruit “roll-ups” or “fruit leather”. You can google a bunch on the internet but here’s my method. I do not use a dehydrator but if you have one or want to purchase one, I’m sure the process goes along much smoother.
What You’ll Need:
4 Cups of strawberries
Wax paper (O.K. to cook in oven with or you’ll have a melted mess that doesn’t taste good)
Shallow baking tray
3. Puree the strawberries in a food processor or high-speed blender.
4. Taste the puree and add sugar if needed. (I do not add sugar as I feel like it’s healthy and sweet enough as is.)
5. Spread the fruit puree in a thin, even layer on the baking sheets. The puree should not be more than ⅛ thick. (To measure, stick a skewer in the puree and then measure how far up the skewer the puree comes.)
6. Dry the puree in the oven until darkened, dry to the touch and pliable, approximately six hours.
7. Peel the fruit leather off the Silpat or parchment paper and cut into strips
8.Store in an airtight container.
Of course mine sometimes look like broken messes of sticky delicious fruit roll-up pieces but, hey, who cares if it’s healthy and yummy, right!?
“Stay Calm and Spot on” -Brittany xo